Browsing Archive: September, 2010

HOME!

Posted by Peta Long on Thursday, September 30, 2010, In : Charlotte Update 

Charlotte arrived home on Saturday afternoon just in time for the glorious Spring weather (where has it gone?), my sister arriving from London and St George winning the semi-finals (Go, the Dragonsfinally!). It was one of those days when Rod and I felt a wave of relief. He was exhausted after spending the last three days in hospital on his own.  I had Charlottes cold which landed Charlie in isolation during chemo and me at home with Madeleine. After five weeks in hospital Rod and I are still ...


Continue reading ...
 

The assaults keep coming!

Posted by Peta Long on Thursday, September 23, 2010, In : Charlotte Update 

Where do I start.following Rods last post Charlotte was stablised following a torturous night of screaming and vomiting. She was listless  for over six hours and after the Neurosurgeon released fluid from her reservoir (without anaesthetic) it became clear that the ventricular peritoneal shunt needed to be implanted. She underwent emergency surgery late on Thursday night and remained stable. Since then she has had a barrage of tests because her port was not working. Despite Rod and I expressi...


Continue reading ...
 

Charlotte pulls through another Operation 16th Sept 2010

Posted by Peta Long on Sunday, September 19, 2010, In : Charlotte Update 

It was an exhausting night/day/night for poor Charlie. After removing the external drain from Charlie's head yesterday morning all went seemingly well, then around 7pm she stared to display signs of discomfort with momentary cries of discomfort and pain, by 9pm she was extremely irritable and in obvious distress followed by vomiting, she would then fall asleep through sheer exhaustion and then wake screaming again in pain hitting and pulling at her head as though being bitten by fire ants on ...


Continue reading ...
 

A brief account of the week that was!

Posted by Peta Long on Sunday, September 12, 2010, In : Charlotte Update 

Monday began with an extremely busy day at work, a quality auditor looking over my shoulder most of the day and  a broken aeroplane that needed to go by that afternoon. That all worked out well, I arrived home to hear that Charlotte had swallowed a marble like stone only moments ago. We were immediately concerned this would jeopardise the long awaited op the next day. After consulting with the emergency telephone service our minds were put to rest somewhat.

 

The surgery day was the usual l...


Continue reading ...
 

A turn for the worst - September 11, 2010

Posted by Peta Long on Sunday, September 12, 2010, In : Charlotte Update 

After being discharged on Friday we were all home together, which was such a treat. I was so excited to be home over the weekend before chemo again on Monday. I was looking forward to taking Charlotte for a walk in the pram and enjoy the warmer weather, Rod was hoping to get a paddle in and Madeleine was off to the circus with her cousins. However, we were all exhausted and nobody surfaced from their bedrooms until just after 7.30 on Saturday morning. I woke with a fright to little feet walki...


Continue reading ...
 

RESERVIOR IN….FINALLY!!

Posted by Peta Long on Friday, September 10, 2010, In : Charlotte Update 

After weeks of deliberation, contemplation, discussions, poor bloods and continuous stays in hospital Charlotte was finally able to have her operation today. As Rod alluded to in the previous post we negotiated a number of issues with Charlotte’s Neurosurgeon and decided that having a reservoir implanted would be the best option for Charlotte at this stage. The shunt would be quite a large and possibly detrimental option at this point in Charlie’s treatment. Charlotte is suffering from hy...


Continue reading ...
 

ROUND 22 Assault on the body!

Posted by Peta Long on Friday, September 3, 2010, In : Charlotte Update 

Just a quick update.

After being home for a day and a half Charlie's temp spiked meaning she had to go back in Monday evening, and was subsequently given antibiotics. I have just bought her home today(Friday). Remarkably all her levels have risen considerably and would normally be in the range for an operation. However the surgeons wanted to see how her body went with no antibiotics, the op is now on Tuesday!

 

Finally, during this last hospital stay, Beck was able to speak with the Neuros...


Continue reading ...
 
 
 
Make a Free Website with Yola.